The Global Interdisciplinary Conference: Green Cities
Business, Engineering, Architecture, Design, & Technology
June 27 – 30, 2018, Nancy, France
Nancy, The City:
Nancy owes much of its elegance to Stanislas, the dethroned king of Poland, who transformed large parts of the city. Nancy is made up of two fortified towns, the Ville-Vielle (Old Town) and the Ville-Neuve (New Town), which were formed during the 16th Century. The pride of the city is the beautiful place Stanislas. On the south side of the square stands the imposing Hotel de Ville, its roof-line topped by an ornamented balustrade and lanterns. Similar motifs adorn the other buildings bordering the square. The entrances of the square are decorated with gilded wrought-iron gates.
At the center of the Old City, the Place Stanislas is surrounded by the Musée des Beaux-Arts, the Nancy Opera House, the Grand Hôtel and l’Hôtel de Ville de Nancy. In the corners of the square one can admire the golden gates and the fountains of Amphitrite and Neptune. In summer time, the many cafes surrounding the square have outside sittings, and one can enjoy spectacles of light and music.
Emblematic of the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century the Art Nouveau style is very well represented in Nancy by its School of Decorative Arts and the many typical house frontages which one can discover all over the city.
The Parc de la Pépinière, with its 21.7 hectares, offers a large green space to enjoy just in the center of the city of Nancy. The Parc Sainte Marie is located near the Ecole de Nancy Museum.
The Aquarium de Nancy: Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle de Lorraine is close to Place Stanislas, the museum present an extensive collection of marine species.
Eglise Saint Epvre & the Cathedral Saint Sébastien: Near Place Stanislas and the Place de la Carrière is the basilica Saint Epvre and the Cathedral Saint Sébastien.
Musée Lorrain is situated in the Palais Ducal de la Vieille Ville de Nancy, the Musée Lorrain presents a collection indicating the history and culture of Lorraine from prehistoric to modern times.
The Regions, Loraine & Alsace:
Lorraine region has been the site of two old capitals, Nancy and Metz, and offers a collection of museums, the magnificent Vosges mountain, Gallo-Roman sites, cathedrals dating back to over 300 years, vineyards, Rhino River, the famous spa town of Vittel, and the town of Baccarat, to the southeast of Nancy, which is home to some of the finest crystal and glassware production since 1764.
After the partitioned empire of Charlemagne in 817 and 843 was organized, Alsace became part of Lotharingia. In 925, Alsace became part of the German duchy of Alemannia and remained German for 800 years. In 1648, with the “Thirty Years War”, Alsace was placed under the French sovereignty. After the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871), Alsace and Lorraine were incorporated into the German Empire. In 1919, after World War I, this region was returned to France. Finally, during World War II, the territory was ceded to Germany but France regained it after Germany’s defeat in 1945. Spread on the plain of the Rhine and on the oriental side of the Vosges mountain range, Alsace offers diversified landscapes and many nearby vineyards with their history, sculpted houses, and their ancient image/spirit.